I haven’t done much art lately. I’ve done a few things which I will post soon but I’ve kinda been in that whole cold weather blah thing. Happens every year, and I get this curl up on couch and knit syndrome. As a rule I work on one thing nothing big but it keeps my hands busy.
Except this year.…
I went on this yarn frenzy I have piles of the stuff. I could start my own store. So I came up with a small goal. Do more than one project and actually finish them! I thought I’d get one or three? things done especially if I do toddler items (small and quick) but no….I couldn’t stop. Which is why my house is messy, art isn’t done and the animals are giving me that look 😉
So here’s my list and I still can’t believe I actually have done all of this.
1 toddler dress. 6 toddler pullovers. 1 girls tank. 1 afghan and one in progress. 4 hats. 1 lacy pullover for me. 3 cat toys & 1 in works. 1 Baby blanket. 2 pullovers missing a sleeve I ran out of that colour yarn eek!
Still have a few projects left to complete. I may not have been painting but the ideas that this goal sparked were great. I even came up with an idea that I’ll keep in my notebook for now. I have to create one first to see if I like it or can even do it.
Did you have any winter goals or frenzies?
As you may or may not know I’ve been playing with sanded pastel paper. It started with Nell the horse and went on to Brown Eye Susan (one of my favourite paintings yet) and I really enjoyed the paper and it’s very rough texture and its ability to take punishment.
Well, I decided to try a portrait on this paper, from my past paintings I wasn’t sure portraits would work. The paper didn’t seem to lend itself to details. My daughters friend has a real cutie, Desmond. So after sorting through some photos I found one I liked. I started with the sanded paper and started to sketch.
However I really had a hard time blending the skin tones on this paper I kept walking away coming back making changes but ugh! I got to a point where I just had the base colours in and just could’nt get it to work.
So the photo is all that remains. It went out with the trash.
I have a hard time with throwing out art I figure if I keep it I can fix it. So this is a step forward for me, some might not, but it takes a lot to throw away a piece of art that you created.
So, back to the drawing board. This time I used Canson Pastel paper this had always been my go to paper for my pastel work before I started the sanded experiments.
Much better, although you can see the texture of the paper, which I don’t mind I like the extra depth it gives and the blending for hair (baby fluff) and skin tones was much better. I was very happy with the outcome. I think I captured Desmond and his cute little face.
I also did the marketing thing as well and posted it on my Facebook page and twitter hoping that I can get some commissions for portraits. Part of my ongoing plan is to try and market myself more.
I also do it because I love it! I do enjoy painting people and animals I get such pleasure from seeing the faces come alive on the paper not to mention the faces of the people I do the work for.
Wow, well this took a little longer than I thought. My kitchen overhaul on $100. The weather didn’t wish to co-operate either. If it wasn’t 90′ it was 40′ and raining.
Well it’s done. Okay so not completely. The walls all need a second coat of paint. A few little touches here and there. Oh, and one last chair to do.
I got the counter top all done, cabinets done and a small tile piece under table like a rug just to brighten the room a bit.
I used the old cabinet I had as a shoe and mail holder. I painted it white and flipped it on its side. Each shelf section now makes a great spot for our bags and shoes. I then used the doors from the unit and put them in sideways about 6inches down to make a shelf. Bought cheap baskets for mail.
The old brown chairs with mis-matched seats I have spray painted yellow and white recovering the seat in a blue material. An old curtain to save on money.
My back splash was the faux tin tiles. I have painted them white and a dark blue in each square with a metallic finish so it looks like blue glass tiles.
That’s about it. I rent and also on tight budget so didn’t want to spend much. It’s not perfect but it works.
So here are before and afters
So I have had a small block. The plan was to do a sketch a week and do the blog. Unfortunately I just keep staring at the page. So I turned my mind to something else. I built my little studio, this worked well to take my mind off stuff and still manage to be creative.
So still blocked.
So I have turned to the kitchen. I had done a special paint technique to make it look like old Tuscan type walls. I bought an old table it’s about 80 yrs old and found some old dark wood chairs. But it’s change time and hoping it helps with block.
The plan, redo kitchen for $100. So first up paint all my walls a bright white. I plan on painting the chairs a bright yellow. I have bought some cheap floor tile that I will use for counter top and varnish. I have the fake embossed tin as back splash which I will paint the same bright white then paint the square portion a glossy blue giving impression of 4×4 ceramic tile with white grout. Last piece is cheap lino for the floor.
As soon as I am done I will post photos. That is if it ever stops raining long enough to go out and spray paint chairs.
Then hopefully an idea will spark for some art work.